Welcome to the Silverdome

Welcome to the Silverdome. A place where one man looks at the wonderful and intricate world of Professional Wrestling.

Sunday, March 25, 2012

The Road to WrestleMania 28 Part 5: Top 5 WrestleMania Moments

Each and every year, WWE comes out with a special WrestleMania magazine.  This year the magazine had 75 WWE Superstars, Divas and Hall of Famers recounting their personal WrestleMania moments, which made for a great read.  It got me thinking as a fan, what my top WrestleMania moments were.  Out of the 12 WrestleManias I have watched and also own, I have been emotionally involved in the build-up for 8 WrestleManias considering I only started watching wrestling in late 2003.  So the moments that stick out in my head are predominantly from WrestleMania 20 and up.  These moments listed below are what sticks out in my head when I think of WrestleMania. Some are entire matches, some are spectacular spots, some are emotional moments of amazement and awe and some are heartfelt moments that just make you want to tear up.  These are my WrestleMania moments. 

5.  “Tap Out!  You hear me Michaels… TAP OUT!”- WrestleMania 21
Those were the last few words Kurt Angle got to say before eating some Sweet Chin Music.  An incredible encounter led down to one moment that has gone on to define this match for many fans.  Michaels’ superkick from out of nowhere made me and many others jump out of their seats in utter shock.  Shawn looked like he was out of the match, but he pulled out that superkick and the Staples Center exploded as it looked like he still had a chance to beat Kurt Angle.  While Kurt Angle would eventually make Michaels tap out to one of the most grueling Ankle Locks in wrestling history, this one superkick lives on in many wrestling fans hearts as the moment that launched Shawn Michaels vs. Kurt Angle into stealing the show at WrestleMania 21.

4.  “I’m Sorry.  I Love You.”- WrestleMania 24
Already an extremely emotional match, Ric Flair vs. Shawn Michaels ended with possibly the most beautiful moment in wrestling history.  As Ric Flair stumbles to his feet after taking a thunderous superkick from Michaels, Shawn goes to put down the Nature Boy.  Conflicted by being the one to end Ric Flair’s illustrious career, Michaels mouths the words, “I’m Sorry.  I Love You.”, before hitting Flair with one last Sweet Chin Music for the win.  What an excellent way to end a career and an excellent moment that could only happen at WrestleMania.

3.  “I just had an Out-of-Body experience!”- WrestleMania 25
That pretty much sums up everybody’s reaction to this incredible spot.  After being sent over the ropes, Shawn Michaels goes to skin the cat, but Undertaker is there to grab HBK into an impactful Tombstone Piledriver that made me and many others believe that there was no way Shawn would kick.  Well he did and the reaction from the crowd, the announcers, mainly Jim Ross, Undertaker and I was a collective gasp at what happened.

2.  Chris Benoit and Eddie Guerrero Celebrate- WrestleMania 20
In all honesty, nowadays it is hard for me to watch this celebration without breaking into tears.  Call me whatever you want, but when I first started out watching wrestling Eddie Guerrero and Chris Benoit (the wrestler, not the murderer) were my heroes.  Seeing them celebrate at the very end of WrestleMania 20 both holding the top titles for their respective brand is just a beautiful moment that makes me miss these great wrestlers.

1.  Streak vs. Career- WrestleMania 26
Nothing can compare to this match.  No title match, no dream match, not even Rock vs. Cena or the supposed End of an Era can compare to Undertaker’s unprecedented undefeated streak vs. Shawn Michaels’ illustrious career.  From the opening bell to the awe-inspiring Leaping Tombstone Piledriver to end it, this match is everything you want in a match.  Emotion, suspense, story and phenomenal wrestling are all key components of Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels II.  It had everyone on the edge of their seat for one 24 minute moment that lives on in my heart as the greatest WrestleMania moment of all-time and the greatest match of all-time.

No comments:

Post a Comment