Welcome to the Silverdome

Welcome to the Silverdome. A place where one man looks at the wonderful and intricate world of Professional Wrestling.

Sunday, March 11, 2012

The Road to WrestleMania 28 Part 3: John Cena

As we continue on the long road to Miami, the Road to WrestleMania 28 series continues.  This week I pick up right where we left off.  I gave my opinions on the Great One, the People’s Champ, the Rock.  Here today will be the leader of the Cenation’s turn to run through my analysis.  As today, I will be discussing my opinions on the most polarizing person in WWE history.

Way back when I started following professional wrestling, I was a John Cena fan.  I enjoyed his charisma, his in-ring ability and his rapper gimmick.  It was fresh and for a 12 year-old boy, a character that he really seen before.  Also as a 12 year-old boy first starting to follow wrestling, I tended to side with all the faces.  At that time, if you were a heel, I hated you and if you were a face, I liked you.  It is kind of how everybody starts out.  Eventually as I got older and more mature, I started to care more who was the better wrestler and who entertained me more.  With that realization, I started cheering for superstars in the WWE that could actually wrestle no matter if they were face or heel.  After a while, I realized that John Cena was not that good of a wrestler and he did not entertain unless he was put with a guy like CM Punk, Chris Jericho, Edge or Shawn Michaels that could carry him to a great feud.  With the torch of Face of the WWE passed directly to him, John Cena reverted from the interesting rapper gimmick he started out as to a generic Superman gimmick.  Cena had no real character, no real charisma (shouting loudly and cracking lame jokes do not count as charisma) and severely lacking wrestling ability.  He did the same old crap every single night with little to no variation and many wrestling fans including myself got sick of it very fast.  But as the Face of the WWE, the Hulk Hogan of this era, WWE shoved Cena down our collective throats, giving him the WWE or World Title time and time again when it did nothing for him and nothing for the titles and having him squash new talent like he is the new Triple H.  While I do not like John Cena, I do respect the hard-working company man he is.  I am just sick and tired of his inconsistent character that jumps between burying his opponents by not taking them serious and making lame jokes that make more people roll their eyes than laugh, which I hate with a passion, and actually taking things seriously and even getting angry, which I actually enjoy.  I am sick and tired of his generic Superman gimmick, which means Cena can get hit by lightning, run over by a truck and take other amounts of pain no human can actually withstand then shrug it off like nothing really happened and still win the match.  Cena has been doing these things for the last seven years and I am just exhausted of it all.  Something needs to change in his character and soon or there might not be a way to redeem Cena in the eyes of hardcore wrestling fans.  Turn him heel, make him more serious, just WWE please do something with John Cena that is actually interesting and worthwhile or history will just continue repeating itself over and over again once this whole feud with Rock is over. 

While I did complain more about John Cena than the Rock, I will say Cena is bringing it these last few weeks.  For once in I don’t know how many years, Cena is actually taking an opponent seriously and it really shows.  Cena has upstaged the Rock these last few weeks and looks to be under the Great One’s skin.  Like I mentioned before that I don’t think that Cena will stay serious once WrestleMania has come and gone, but one can only hope.  Out of the two, I prefer Rock over John Cena any day of the week, but I see the current Face of the WWE walking out of Miami with his hand raised high in victory.  With WrestleMania 28 only a few weeks away, come back next weekend for the next installment of the Road to WrestleMania 28 series.  Next week I will be looking at Best in the World vs. Best in the World, CM Punk vs. Chris Jericho.

No comments:

Post a Comment