Welcome to the Silverdome

Welcome to the Silverdome. A place where one man looks at the wonderful and intricate world of Professional Wrestling.

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Holy Cow Batman, It's John Cena!!: Review of WWE Royal Rumble 2008

With the Royal Rumble only a few weeks away, I want to take the next few weeks to build up to the big event.  The Royal Rumble match is one of my favourite matches of the year, making the Royal Rumble PPV usually one of my favourite PPVs of the year.  So for this week, I will put up my review of the 2008 Royal Rumble PPV with a few edits.  Make sure to come back next week as I will countdown my Top 10 Royal Rumble matches of all-time.

Standing in Cinema 1 trying to decide whether I should buy this PPV or not.  I already bought Backlash 2009 and The Legacy of Stone Cold Steve Austin for a grand total of 20 dollars (got to love 2 for 20 dollar sales at HMV) and Pokemon SoulSilver the day before for 40 dollars.  I was a little worried that I might have spent too much money on things that I wanted, but did not need.  Well after sitting down and spending close to 3 continuous hours watching Royal Rumble 2008, I am glad to say that was 15 dollars well spent.  I might have said this statement before, but I will say it again.  The Royal Rumble is one of my favourite PPVs of the year, mostly because I am a sucker for the annual Royal Rumble match (they are always very fun matches to watch).   Even though there were a couple of moments that were not up to snuff in my opinion, I really enjoyed this PPV and believe every wrestling fan should watch it at least for John Cena’s incredible return as the 30th entrant in the Royal Rumble match.

Ric Flair def. MVP in a Career Threatening Match
Rating:  6.5/10

JBL def. Chris Jericho by DQ
Rating:  7.5/10

Edge def. Rey Mysterio to retain the World Heavyweight Championship
Rating:  9/10

Randy Orton def. Jeff Hardy to retain the WWE Championship
Rating:  8.5/10

John Cena last eliminated Triple H to win the 2008 Royal Rumble Match
Rating:  10/10

Overall, Royal Rumble 2008 is a really good, enjoyable PPV.  The opener was just okay and the stupid Raw-like segment with Ashley, Maria and Santino should not have been on the show.  Though these two moments were sour points on this PPV, the greatness of the other matches on the card made up for those blemishes.   My rating for WWE Royal Rumble 2008 is 8 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment